Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Baby, I was born this way


Recently, my husband asked me, "When are you going to stop getting involved in other people's business?"  To my own amazement, I immediately responded - NEVER.  The Reverend Al Sharpton was recently honored on the BET AWARDS for his humanitarian efforts.  Upon accepting his award, he stated, "Every night I go to sleep, I have one thing in mind,” he pledged to the crowd. “When I wake up the next morning, and my feet hit the ground, I want every bigot, every unjust person in the world to say, ‘Damn, he’s up again."  By no expansion of the imagination am I remotely an Al Sharpton, but I do understand his plight.  Even as a kid, you could find me defending someone I felt had been wronged.  There were times when I got my butt whipped, cursed, threatened and casted out.  Approaching the age of 50, I'm unchanged in that regard. Imperfect in many ways, there are a few things that are concrete about me.  I will share a few.  First, 99.9% of the time, I am invited into other's business.  Second, I will always stand up for what I believe to be right. Third, I have lighting bolt anger (zero to a 100 under a second).  I'm told that I inherited my temper from my father (blame him).  Fourth, I will always be apologetic when I am wrong. Last, it's extremely difficult to bullshit me (come correct or don't come at all). 

I imagine that at some moment in one's life, one find they wonder how they will be remembered when they have passed on.  Oftentimes, funerals avail one to expound on the life of the deceased.  Fortunately or unfortunately, no will be given that opportunity when I have passed on.  There will be no funeral.  For me, everyday that I'm alive, one can decide how they will treat me and honor me.  When I ceased to exist on this earth, love ones and enemies alike will certainly continue what they had always been doing.  If wonderful accolades were going out, they will continue.  Reversely if hatred, jealously, and back biting were distributed, it will continue. 

What I know for sure, everybody talk about everyone at some instances in their lives.  I accept that negatively is voiced by both friend and foe.  I am no exception - both have the capacity to get on my last damn nerves.  Therefore, I will continue to stand up for what I believe to be right; regardless the consequences. My butt, my heart and soul are prepared for the butt whippings, curses and cast aways.  It is my belief that I was simply born this way.

No comments:

Post a Comment