Thursday, June 20, 2013

So What!

Life 's stresses are forever staring us down or lurking in the shadows.  What are you going to do? I say, forget doing what is societal correct and do you. I find fewer things impressive as I mature.  In a recent girl's night out, a friend re-gifted some impressive advice worthy of passing on. This friend had struggled with the passing of her mother and a dear friend asked this of her, 'How are you living your dash?' The friend went on to explain that on your tombstone there is a beginning (Born) and there is an ending (Departed), but in the middle, there is a dash.  The dash represents the life you are living now.

If you are born into this world, death is a certainty.  You don't have look for it, it knows where you are.  The question is how are you going to live YOUR dash.  What I know for sure in my 40 plus years of living, you  can not please people who do not want to be please.  Simply, you can't make someone like or love you.  They either do or don't. 

Admittedly, I've been a slow learner when it comes to people pleasing.  A great portion of my early life has been heavily filled with the desire to have others like me.  I'm happy to say at almost 50 years of living, I'm cured.

My cell phone's ring tone is 'Hate on Me' by Jill Scott. It has been my ring tone since the first time I heard it several year ago. It's my constant reminder to do me and just say, 'So What'.

See the lyric to 'Hate on Me' and discover why it is my ring tone:

If I could give you the world
On a silver platter
Would it even matter?
You'd still be mad at me

If I could find in all this
A dozen roses
Which I would give to you
You'd still be miserable

In reality, I'm gon' be who I be
And I don't feel no faults
For all the lies that you bought
You can try as you may
Break me down but I say
That it ain't up to you
Gone and do what you do

(Chorus)
Hate on me, hater
Now or later
'Cuz I'm gonna do me
You'll be mad, baby
(Go 'head and hate)
Go 'head and hate on me, hate on
'Cuz I'm not afraid of it
What I got I paid for
You can hate on me

Ooh, if I gave you peaches
Out of my own garden
And I made you a peach pie
Would you slap me high

What if I gave you diamonds
Out of my own womb
Would you feel the love in that,
Or ask "why not the moon"?

If I gave you sanity
For the whole of humanity,
Had all the solutions
For the pain and pollution

No matter where I live,
Despite the things I give,
You'll always be this way
So go 'head and....

(Chorus)

You cannot hate on me
'Cuz my mind is free
Feel my destiny
So shall it be

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qw3Z8Oa7E3Y

Along with several other life's coping mechanisms, I've found amazing friends to be an antidote. Check out how we say, So What!



































































So what!












1 comment: