Monday, June 11, 2012

Vacancy

 "my job sucks, my health sucks, my dogs suck, my house sucks, my everything sucks"

Oh yes! Debbie Downer is a name of a fictional Saturday Night Live character which debuted in 2004. The character's name is a slang phrase which refers to someone who frequently adds bad news and negative feelings to a gathering, thus bringing down the mood of everyone around them.


I venture to say that we all have one in our circle of friends. Friends who literally suck the life out of you; often time slowly, but nevertheless rendering you breathless.  It's exhausting as a friend and life is too short for toxic people. I have discovered that the older I get, the less patience I have for these energy drainers.  Many experts suggest that an occasional inventory be taken to access friendship to determine whether the friendship is adding more worth; oppose to discomfort.  Personally, I prefer to make life changes at New Years.  It's something about the onset of the New Year that inspires change.  It is my belief that too much of the Debbie Downer can actually be a health hazard.  At the very least, it doesn't add to life's sizzle.  And frankly my dear, I'm mostly about the sizzle at this point in my life.  Come New Year's 2013, there may be a vacancy. 

Take a little time and access your friendships, it just may save YOUR life.



No comments:

Post a Comment