Wednesday, March 14, 2012

I'll Always Love You!


We all know the iconic song Whitney Houston made famous in the movie 'The Body Guard'.  It's about loving someone enough to allow them to exit your life; because to do otherwise would cause both of you great pain.  The legendary country superstar Dolly Parton wrote this song when it was evident she needed to part ways with her long time business partner.  In short, it's wasn't working anymore.  I was reminded how we desperately hold on to things and loved ones when we  know the expiration date has come and often time past.  Fear is the culprit.  Many of us have the paralyzing fear of hurting the other person, fear of retaliation, fear of being alone, fear of what others will say, fear of everything - pick one.  At the beginning of this year, I was at a crossroad and I stated to my husband that I wouldn't be surprised if I had one friend left by year's end.  I didn't have any profound reason for making the statement.  But somehow, I knew I would be different this year - not things would be different but I would be different.  On the subconscious, I knew I had been a fake; not fully embracing and living my authentic life.  I could feel a change coming in my bones.  I have certainly been guilty of doing and being what others were more comfortable with.  It's a sacrifice I'm no longer willing to make.  The cost of losing myself is too great.  I have amazing family and friends who I'm honored to have in my life.  I would love nothing more than for all of us to remain wonderful assets in each other’s lives forever.  However, I fully understand the lyrics to that famous song, I'll Always Love You and I cautiously vow to embrace it; as not to allow fear to destroy or hinder my progress and the progress of the ones I hold dearly.  Sometimes, we really are NOT what each other need, but the love shared always remains; no matter the separation.  

2 comments:

  1. I could not agree more Sis! I'm learning that the ultimate plan for my life does not include a lot of people that I thought it would, yet, each person I have encountered in my lifetime I've encountered for a purpose.

    ReplyDelete